Breaking the barriers for a sustainable active and healthy ageing through IoT technologies
Visit ACTIVAGE website in order to learn more about the project.
What is ACTIVAGE?
ACTIVAGE is a European Multi Centric Large Scale Pilot on Smart Living Environments. The main objective is to build the first European IoT ecosystem across 9 Deployment Sites (DS) in seven European countries, reusing and scaling up underlying open and proprietary IoT platforms, technologies and standards, and integrating new interfaces needed to provide interoperability across these heterogeneous platforms, that will enable the deployment and operation at large scale of Active & Healthy Ageing IoT based solutions and services, supporting and extending the independent living of older adults in their living environments, and responding to real needs of caregivers, service providers and public authorities.
The majority of Active and Healthy Ageing services build upon username/password based authentication, inheriting their drawbacks, jeopardizing the exposure of health-care data but also reducing the user acceptance of new technologies. Behavioural patterns constitute a unique characteristic of people in their daily life, which could provide valuable information in the process of verifying and identifying the users in information systems. Having a secure and frictionless authentication mechanism ensures the security and privacy of individuals while provides a user-friendly approach. In parallel, the costs for potential data breaches are reduced as only the appropriate people are able to access their data. BehavAuth provided a secure and frictionless authentication mechanism ensuring the security and privacy of individuals while providing user-friendly approach.
The BehavAuth objectives are summarised into:
- Extending the AHA services of the ACTIVAGE project on four DSs, by deploying a more secure and user-friendly authentication mechanism
- Improving the security and the user acceptance of the current vulnerable and non-user-friendly authentication AHA services through a frictionless behavioural authentication mechanism.
- Empowering the global outreach of the ACTIVAGE ecosystem, through continuous dissemination and communication activities combined with a clear sustainability plan that will continue after the end of the project.
Benefits to the Active and Healthy Ageing
BehavAuth facilitates the user acceptance of the ACTIVAGE framework by removing the overcomplicated username/password approach.
BehavAuth will technologically benefit the ACTIVAGE project by:
- empowering security as it combines multiple biometrics and behavioural patterns, eliminating the errors of each individual method,
- easiness-to-use as the system does not require any user input; a factor particularly important for AHA,
- strengthening privacy as the users e.g. elderly people, become sole owners and having full control over their personal data and
- improving the trustworthiness of AHA services through the use of behavioural authentication.
ACTIVAGE project comprises a large consortium of 49 partners distributed across Europe including SMEs, industrial partners, research entities, public entities, academic institutes and others.
Key partners that Quadible is collaborating with are:
- Medtronic, which is the Project Coordinator and responsible for the management and coordination of the project activities.
- Samsung, handling the integration with the Leeds UK deployment site as well as technical coordination of trials.
- Leeds City Council, supporting the adoption of the ACTIVAGE framework from the end-users including our behavioural authentication.